About Me

My photo
Technically speaking, I'm a dietitian, but I see myself as a listener, a motivator, coach and teacher of nutrition. I prefer to end a busy day with a glass of red wine while chopping vegetables. Lover of almost anything pickled and fresh baked scones just not at the same time. I'm happiest when I'm cooking for people I love. Why am I so into food? Because I KNOW how much eating well can change your life. What you eat every day is going to impact your body and your mind. It's a confusing world out there - full of diet and food advice that always leaves you feeling like it's that one next diet that's going to be the weight loss answer. Stop waiting for that magic diet, and begin to take one step at a time in the right direction. I'm here to help you on your life-long journey, there's no better time to start!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reach Your Goals with Lifestyle Changes

I wanted to share this article from ABC news that confirms data from recent studies demonstrates lifestyle changes are where it's at for long term weight loss.

How are you doing with not dieting?  If you still find yourself turning to old habits to get weight off quick, and feel like you're not making progress toward your overall goals guess what - that is NORMAL.  I consider relapse part of the process of change.  It's just a speed bump. Tomorrow is a new day. Forget about wasting any energy on what you didn't do right, or what "bad foods" you ate.  Do what you can to re-focus on what's important to you the very next time you make a food choice.  You can't erase the past, but there's always tomorrow.  I challenge you to make one goal right now- about 1 behavior you will work on this week. Write it down, and post it somewhere you will see it each morning to remind you of your new behavior.  It takes weeks to truly change a behavior, so stay consistent and soon your new behavior will become a lifestyle habit.

For example:

The behavior you want to change:  Getting home from work ravenously hungry and grabbing junk food because it's the quickest thing available.

Goal: This week I will bring a healthy snack to work to eat in the afternoon that is satisfying enough to last me until dinner time.


Ok - now that you are about to set 1 measurable goal for yourself this week, I'll share some of what I'm loving now for healthy meal and snacks:

1/2 cup nonfat plain organic European style yogurt from TJ's + 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese + 1 cup of fresh berries (I mix raspberries, blackberries & chopped strawberries). ~ This is a really filling breakfast and lasts all morning. It is a good balance of protein and carbohydrate + powerful antioxidants and fiber.

Air-popped popcorn: snack on 3 cups of this for around 140 calories. Make sure to choose one that is low fat and definitely trans-fat free. Read the ingredient list and make sure your product does not have hydrogenated oil in it. Popcorn is a whole grain too!

Wasabi Wow - a fabulous mix from TJ's. It has peanuts, almonds, wasabi peas, golden raisins and cranberries and I think some other goodies too. 1/4 cup is lower cal than most trail mix and the flavor combination really satisfies sweet and salty cravings.

2 omega-3 hard boiled eggs + fresh cut veggies. This is a fresh and filling afternoon snack.  Eggs are such a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals. Very satisfying and easy to grab n' go. Boil eggs at the beginning of the week and have them ready to go each day.

So - go ahead and take a couple minutes to dedicate yourself to that 1 goal this week.  7 days from now, check back in with yourself to see if you met your goal. Remember to make is realistic and measurable. If you accomplished your goal, add on a new goal next week.

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. Make choices that match your goals to make your goals your reality.

1 comment:

  1. Having the egg and fresh veggie snack right now. Keeps me completely content and focused through the end of the work day. I totally recommend it!

    ReplyDelete