About Me

My photo
Technically speaking, I'm a dietitian, but I see myself as a listener, a motivator, coach and teacher of nutrition. I prefer to end a busy day with a glass of red wine while chopping vegetables. Lover of almost anything pickled and fresh baked scones just not at the same time. I'm happiest when I'm cooking for people I love. Why am I so into food? Because I KNOW how much eating well can change your life. What you eat every day is going to impact your body and your mind. It's a confusing world out there - full of diet and food advice that always leaves you feeling like it's that one next diet that's going to be the weight loss answer. Stop waiting for that magic diet, and begin to take one step at a time in the right direction. I'm here to help you on your life-long journey, there's no better time to start!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"Slimocado" gets C rating in my book

My website is live! Visit www.notonadiet.com and check it out.  If you want to know how you're doing - look for the Food Diary Swap service: Send me a food record for 1 or more days, and I'll analyze it to let you know. The best part is - I'll send you a meal plan back in return to help with any suggestions or "holes" in your eating that I think will help you with your goals! 

Tonight at the grocery store with my sister, I couldn't resist picking out a nice ripe "Slimocado".  First of all - it was HUGE! About three times the size of the avocados I usually find.  Nope, it's not a hybrid or a genetically modified product like I initially assumed. After doing a little research, I found that it is a Florida avocado, which is just naturally 35% fewer calories and half the fat of a California Grown Hass avocado. I was not impressed with the taste; and I personally prefer the delish, buttery, rich texture of the avocados I'm accustomed to.  That being said, since it does still provide some of the healthy fat (monounsaturated fat) you might want to consider making guacamole or other recipes that call for avocados with half Hass and half Slimocados to decrease total calories.

I want to remind you- that the approach for sustainable, healthy weight loss is to learn to adopt new eating habits - not dieting!  Today's post, is to impress upon you the importance of including healthy fats in your diet.  Fats are important for absorbing fat soluble vitamins (A,D, E, and K) and for almost all the cells in your body including your hair and skin. Do you know what healthy fats are? Do you know how much is enough? Let's take a look:

Monounsaturated Fats: Olive oil, avocados, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, peanuts
Polyunsaturated Fats: Omega -3 Fats -> Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, halibut, trout, mackerel others; ground flaxseed (we don't break down the shell so make sure to grind yours!), hemp, canola oil, walnuts

Generally - eating a variety of the above mentioned foods are the best bet.  Eat a variety of nuts and seeds, fish at least 2-6 times per week,  and mainly olive oil when cooking. Coconut oil can hold up well to very high temperatures which olive oil does not. You don't need to eat the same thing every day - but I do want to encourage you to consciously include healthy fats every day. Fat helps you feel satisfied, even when you're cutting back on how much you're eating - so by including healthy fats you feel better and more satisfied on less total calories.

Important things to keep in mind to include healthy fats and not gain weight due to the high calorie nature of fats: 1 Tablespoon of oil (any oil, yes, even olive oil): 120 calories and approx 15 grams of fat.There are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, so 1 teaspoon of oil: 40 calories, 5 grams of fat. What does that mean? That means it's a good idea to teach yourself what does 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp look like when you're cooking or dressing your salad. Measure at home using measuring spoons and find out! 

The average person requires about 4-6 teaspoons of added fats/oils daily to reach fat targets. Remember - your fat goal is about 25-30% of your total calories. You will also consume some additional fat that is present in meats, dairy and other foods you eat on a typical day.

How to add in healthy fats:
1 Tablespoon of all natural almond butter on sprouted toast; 2 Tbsp ground flax in your oatmeal or yogurt; 2-4 avocado slices on your sandwich or salad; substitute salmon for chicken or beef 2 x a week; dress your salad with lemon juice and olive oil instead of store-bought dressing; add a few chopped walnuts into your yogurt or cereal; snack on mixed nuts and small piece of fruit;

Lastly, be aware of portion sizes with fats - a couple tablespoons of nuts is typically a good serving size. If you've got a question about fats - don't be shy! Leave a comment or a question below!

No comments:

Post a Comment