About Me

My photo
Technically speaking, I'm a dietitian, but I see myself as a listener, a motivator, coach and teacher of nutrition. I prefer to end a busy day with a glass of red wine while chopping vegetables. Lover of almost anything pickled and fresh baked scones just not at the same time. I'm happiest when I'm cooking for people I love. Why am I so into food? Because I KNOW how much eating well can change your life. What you eat every day is going to impact your body and your mind. It's a confusing world out there - full of diet and food advice that always leaves you feeling like it's that one next diet that's going to be the weight loss answer. Stop waiting for that magic diet, and begin to take one step at a time in the right direction. I'm here to help you on your life-long journey, there's no better time to start!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Weekend Breakfast: I'm Lovin' The B.E.S.

This weekend, my boyfriend John and I were looking for something good to eat for that late Saturday breakfast time of day, and I threw together a twist on a classic breakfast sandwich. Take the bacon out of the typical bacon, egg and cheese sandwich and add basil! The basil leaves I had this week were enormous so I thought they would fit perfectly atop a tower of lite Jarlsberg Swiss and scrambled omega-3 eggs, sandwiched between a toasted multi-grain English muffin from TJ's.  Here is what you end up with:
The red you're seeing is a dab of ketchup - I'll put ketchup on anything - but with or without my favorite lycopene -loaded condiment, this sammy is going to fill you up.  You've got your carbohydrates from the muffin, protein from eggs and a little fat and flavor from the Swiss cheese. Play around with a new combination - add salsa or tomatoes and even cilantro!

How does the B.E.S. breakfast break down: "The Basil, Egg & Swiss Breakfast Sandwich"
  • Muffin 160 calories, 5 grams fiber, 7 grams protein
  • 1 1/2 eggs 105 calories,  9 grams protein
  • Jarlsberg Lite (1 slice) 50 calories, 7 grams protein
  • Basil leaves - zilch calories - but loaded with good nutrition
Total: 315 calories,  23 grams protein, 30 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber

Healthy Way Tips: Buy Omega-3 enriched eggs as another way to up your intake of these anti-inflammatory fats.  When scrambling the eggs, us a canola spray instead of butter or liquid oil. Use half a slice of cheese on each side of the muffin instead of 2 slices.

If you need a little more - a great addition would be to add some fruit on the side like a cup of mixed berries or an orange. Why would anyone need to make a run to McDonald's for an Egg McMuffin?  I'm Lovin' It!

No comments:

Post a Comment