- Keep your body well-fueled so it can burn consistently all day. Eat every 3-4 hours and avoid going long periods of time between meals.
- Each time you eat try to chose a combination of carbohydrate (fiber) with Protein or a Healthy fat
- Don’t deprive yourself! If you want something - have it in moderation
- Eat mindfully - pay attention to what and how much you are eating
- Eat slowly - give your stomach time to send the message to your brain that you’ve had enough
- If you forget to eat, keep small snacks handy and set an alarm on your phone or computer
- Stay hydrated. Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water each day!
- Get a water bottle that you love - you’re more likely to bring it with you
- Consume at least 25-35 grams of naturally occurring fiber daily
- Include healthy fats in your meals and snacks - fat helps trigger satiety, even from smaller portions
- Smart snacking is wise, but mindless grazing can add up very quickly!
- Don’t show up to the party on an empty stomach, you’re much more likely to over-eat.
- Avoid drinking your calories on a regular basis
- Never feel guilty about a food choice. If you aren’t proud of a behavior, immediately start taking steps for change
- Keep a food record in the beginning to see what your habits and patterns are. Learning about yourself is very important information for success
- Move every day, often - find something to do that makes you happy!
- Sumner Brooks, MPH, RD, CSSD
- Technically speaking, I'm a dietitian, but I see myself as a listener, a motivator, coach and teacher of nutrition. I prefer to end a busy day with a glass of red wine while chopping vegetables. Lover of almost anything pickled and fresh baked scones just not at the same time. I'm happiest when I'm cooking for people I love. Why am I so into food? Because I KNOW how much eating well can change your life. What you eat every day is going to impact your body and your mind. It's a confusing world out there - full of diet and food advice that always leaves you feeling like it's that one next diet that's going to be the weight loss answer. Stop waiting for that magic diet, and begin to take one step at a time in the right direction. I'm here to help you on your life-long journey, there's no better time to start!
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
16 Principles to Lose Weight Without Dieting
Sumner’s 16 PRINCIPLES to lose weight WITHOUT DIETING