About Me

My photo
Technically speaking, I'm a dietitian, but I see myself as a listener, a motivator, coach and teacher of nutrition. I prefer to end a busy day with a glass of red wine while chopping vegetables. Lover of almost anything pickled and fresh baked scones just not at the same time. I'm happiest when I'm cooking for people I love. Why am I so into food? Because I KNOW how much eating well can change your life. What you eat every day is going to impact your body and your mind. It's a confusing world out there - full of diet and food advice that always leaves you feeling like it's that one next diet that's going to be the weight loss answer. Stop waiting for that magic diet, and begin to take one step at a time in the right direction. I'm here to help you on your life-long journey, there's no better time to start!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An Oil Obsession in Whole Foods Market

So.. there I was, walking the aisles of my local Redondo Beach Whole Foods Market for lunch and a Kombucha, when I noticed some beautiful oils staring at me. As a food professional,  one of my favorite topics to educate clients on is FAT and OILS.  Fat plays such a powerful role in fighting or contributing (Omega-6's) to low grade inflammation in the body.  By now, you've probably heard about some of the health benefits of Omega-3's, but if you missed it make sure to check out my Reasons to Eat Your Omega-3 post to learn more.

I desperately wanted to share with you what I came across today. In constant search of tasty salad dressings that are not made from soybean oil, (I look for Olive or Canola Oil based dressings because they are lower in Omega-6)... I started turning to the backs of some new dressings I haven't seen before. Here are some good finds:
Why I like it: Made with cider vinegar and olive oil, plus some nice lemon peel, pepper, onion and other goodies. I will definitely try this one, or even attempt to make it at home


Wild Thymes Parmesan Walnut Caesar Vinaigrette
Why I like it: Much lower calorie than other traditional Caesar dressings and it is made with heart healthy oils.







I could not pass up taking a shot of these beautiful cans of oil from La Tourangelle. Hazelnut Oil is super high in Monounsaturated Fat (MUFA) making it great for your cholesterol and it also has a particularly high smoke point so it is good for cooking at higher temps. It is also a good source of Vitamin E. With great nutty flavor, whats not to love about this?  Walnut oil is a rich source of Omega-3's, but needs to stay at a lower cooking temperature than Hazelnut Oil and also needs to stay refrigerated to keep the precious Omega-3s from losing their spunk. This would be a great oil to use with lemon or vinegar as a home made salad dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment