About Me

My photo
Technically speaking, I'm a dietitian, but I see myself as a listener, a motivator, coach and teacher of nutrition. I prefer to end a busy day with a glass of red wine while chopping vegetables. Lover of almost anything pickled and fresh baked scones just not at the same time. I'm happiest when I'm cooking for people I love. Why am I so into food? Because I KNOW how much eating well can change your life. What you eat every day is going to impact your body and your mind. It's a confusing world out there - full of diet and food advice that always leaves you feeling like it's that one next diet that's going to be the weight loss answer. Stop waiting for that magic diet, and begin to take one step at a time in the right direction. I'm here to help you on your life-long journey, there's no better time to start!

Sunday, February 27, 2011

An Unexpected Tasting

Last weekend I spent a dreamy three days in wine country. We were in Santa Ynez, CA and the surrounding areas. You might know this beautiful place if you've ever watched the movie Sideways - a wine-o classic! (If you missed it, watch the trailer here!) It rained and it poured, and on the second day the sun came out. More to come on all the wine later, but for now I want to share what I think is one of the best olive oil and vinegar producers in California. 


We were so lucky to arrive at Lafond winery, a place to go for great wine, on a day when they weren't only pouring wine, but olive oils by il Fustino as well. We met owner Laura and Claire. Laura and her husband started il Fustino oils and vinegars when they realized 3 weeks after retirement that they weren't done working. This time around though, business would be an artful combination of his love for great food and her passion for cooking. They couldn't have done better with this family owned and run operation. These olive oils are fruity, silky, pure and full of depth, you almost want to drink it right out of the bottle! They're amazing all on their own, but I've already begun to experiment with the Extra Virgin Garlic Olive Oil (EVGOO) and 25-year aged balsamic vinegar we took home. The garlic oil is not just olive oil infused with garlic. Both olives and garlic are pressed together so the flavor is out of this world! If you love the flavor of great olive oil you will want to order some il Fustino oil, or perhaps stop in at their charming store the next time you visit beautiful Santa Barbara. 



Here are some ideas I've taste-tested in my own kitchen this week:
  • Fresh Popcorn tossed with two teaspoons of EVGOO
  • Sweet potato wedges baked in the oven with sea salt and drizzled with EVGOO after cooking and just before serving
  • Butter lettuce and arugula salad with heirloom tomatoes, drizzled with aged balsamic and fresh meyer lemon juice
  • Whole wheat linguine with diced tomatoes, and broccoli, shaved Parmesan and drizzled EVGOO
Gorgeous Santa Ynez wine country

So, although we went expecting wine, we left with wine and an amazing new duo of out-of-the-ordinary oil and vinegar I'll be experimenting with for months! Thanks, il Fustino!

1 comment:

  1. Olive Oil, Wine, Sideways-love them all. I've been to Napa and Sonoma for wine tasting, but never to Santa Ynez. OK-now I really want to go. Love your new blog design!

    ReplyDelete